Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Prayer versus the "Truth Wars": Goodbye to Watching the Watchdawgies for Christ

Prayer versus the "Truth Wars": Goodbye to Watching the Watchdawgies for Christ

Recently I attempted to enter into the "Truth Wars" of John MacArthur with a blog that watched thoses who were slandering the emerging church... this is part one.

A lot of prayer and soul searching has caused me to take another look the message of my different Blogs. My first gut feeling response was that I did not want to even do this, yet in me is a fighter, and I veiw that one should stand up against those who abuse others at times and set things right as best we can.

Yet, saying that there is a huge danger of becoming like those who we are hoping to see their error by find we are using the same tools that this world uses, or worse that we justify our actions so that we can feel "good" though we have fallen into the very error we are fighting. This is a narrow path and easy to stray from so Grace, Mercy, humility, and most of all Love must be there to keep us focused on our true calling and that is serving Jesus.

Originally I believed God to be calling out for those in the emerging church movement to ignore the critics and even more so when Johnny Mac declared the "Truth War". From the start it was clear that the accusations that were thrown out had not merit as most of us responded with, "Who are they talking about?" as they waxed on and on about what the think we think we believe...

To fight or not to fight? Is this "war" of Johnny Mac's a "Just" war or is it just his? i am seeing more and more it is the latter.

John Wimber who was the head of the Vineyard Church, believed God had told him to never give answer to his critics and for years John did not. Then some very intelligent men begged him to let them give answers and he relented. In a very intellectual way, they did very good in their rebuttals and I reference them here and on my other blog at times. Yet, something changed as my local pastor stated he noticed. Vineyard the gained an unfair reputation of being militant... mostly from the very people who mobilized their attack against Vineyard in the first place.
I see there is a direct correlation between that and now... that we have given in to playing their games... and in some way have lost a bit of ourselves... or at least that is how I feel as of lately dealing with these people.

I think that to expose them has become a waste as they tend to expose themselves as to their theology that justifies hate and judgmentalism. They cry out about homosexuality yet in doing so slander many others in the process... I have come to fully realize to argue with a person with a divisive heart, is futile as that is what feeds their ego and their sick doctrine, the more you fight them and tell them they are in error, the more they gloat as they have made you fall to their level.

I see this as wicked... and that the scripture is clear to have nothing to do with divisive men...

Now, then what to do with this blog?

Here is an email I sent to Russ N who is the other person who has been doing a great job here... I was going to just paraphrase the email but I think I will just post the whole thing as it will speak better as I wrote it from my heart at the time...

Russ,

I first off want to thank you for helping... it has been good to know I have a friend in my corner, even if we have not formally met.

I have doing a LOT of praying and soul searching... and reading of scripture... and as I said from the beginning, I never really wanted to do a blog about Ken or others... I just wanted the lies and slander to stop... and I have a tendency to defend others... to a huge fault at times.

I want you to know I am very seriously thinking of shutting it down... Maybe putting a post to explain what is going on... so these people do not think we are tucking tail and running.

I see other sites that can walk that fine line between becoming like the people one is confronting... and keeping an open ended opportunity to give away Grace and mercy... and I wonder if I am not the right person to do that as I get into the heat of the battle and sometimes lose site of the end goal... reconciliation.

I think in many ways the blog has been very good and exposing some who they really are... and that the real issue is their theology that justifies hate and judgmentalism.... yet, in all that I just get tired of confronting... and wonder if it is worth it? I mean I can expend half the energy and people find Jesus... and I am energized, or I can fight with idiots.... (beloved idiots of God) and be just worn to a frazzle... don't get me wrong, It is not that I feel the confrontation is wrong, just maybe a waste of time.

Please pray with me... I am pretty set at shutting it down as I have had a scripture run through my head from day one...

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

In some way I feel the blog is a record of wrongs... and though I will never condemn others like CRNinfo... as I see they are doing a great job, I just seem to not have this in me... It feels like this list may as well be my wrongs... and in that I have been forgiven and saved into a new life in Christ, I want to give that away instead of being like Ken Silva who is keep a list of wrongs.... as judged by his own eyes... I think I would rather give room for God to avenge than to avenge myself... I hope that makes sense.

I also was contemplating, (yep that evil purposely reading and think about scripture thing) on Romans 12: 6-21

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

That is were I live... and seemed to be missing this last month... I desire to have it back...

If you do not agree with me I understand... if you do I hope that as we pray we will receive wisdom to get things set back...

I am not saying you have been guilty of anything... these are the things on my heart... I have enjoyed your posts and appreciate all you have done...

I do feel guilty a bit in dragging you in all this though (grin) and then sounding so wishy washy here as I may be changing my mind.

Blessings,
iggy


I hope that IF this blog continues, that we will go in a more positive and less confronting way... the jury is still out as to if we will be here in the next week or two... though we will be deleting most of the accusational posts in the next day or so if not sooner.

I appreciate Russ and know he has a post rearing to go as God has been working in and on his heart also... It will be a major blessings that he will share.

My only desire is to serve Christ in a manner that gives Him glory. I do not see that fighting other brothers in Christ a productive way to spend my time as there are many going to hell every minute I spend in an unproductive argument. I mean think about it... if a person is divisive at heart... do you think arguing will change his mind... no... only one thing will and that is prayer...

So, please let us all prayer for each other and for myself and Russ, mostly though for those who have declared "war" and made themselves our enemies... which I have never considered that of them... The Body of Christ has but one enemy and that is Satan... so if Johnny Mac declares "war" on his brothers... OK I will stop, but there is no war here anymore....

There is an Indian Chief named Chief Joseph... and incredible man well educated in both his worlds... as the USA decide to round up all the tribes and put them on reservations, Chief Joseph gathered his people and ran with them... men, women children, old and young sick and well and for a long time kept them out of the hands of the Cavalry who was chasing them... the warriors would do distraction and Joseph would lead the people safely away... this went on for a time and frustrated the US military, that a savage was outsmarting them...

It seemed a victory as Chief Joseph had only about 50 miles to get to Canada... and he was finally caught. Yet, unlike other tribes that went out in a blaze of glory, Joseph saw all his people went through and made a discussion...

His quote sums up my feelings here.

"I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed. Looking Glass is dead. Toohulhulsote is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led the young men is dead. It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them, have run away to the hills and have no blankets, no food. No one knows where they are--perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

I am not saying that we lost... but I think that fighting only leads to more loss on our side... no matter how many we ever "take down" (I mean that only in correction grin) there will be another... and another... and so on... in fact I think Falwell is taking a stand against Calvinists as we speak... so there is a war... and I will let the fundamentalist fight it out amongst themselves... I think I would rather focus on my people and bring those that have been harmed back to health and search for the lost lambs to bring them to the Great Shepherd. I only thank God that this is not like the original reformation where then did kill those they deem heretics.

Blessings,
iggy