Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A.W. Tozer and Christian Mystics.



I have come across many anti emerging sites that often quote A.W. Tozer. Many of these same sites rail against contemplation, meditation and "Christian" mysticism... I was looking into some new books and came across a wonderful book by A.W. Tozer called "The Christian book of Mystical Verse" which has some great poems and prose by some of his favorite "mystics"...





Here is a quote from the back of the book:





"Although many Christians cringe at the term "mystic," A.W. Tozer used the term to mean, "that spiritual experience common to the saints of the Bible times and well known to multitudes of person in the post-biblical era." He referred to the evangelical mystic as one "who has been brought by the gospel into intimate fellowship with the Godhead."





Here is one of the "gems" in the book... I might in the future share more.



Cooling Streams by Na­hum Tate
Nicholas Brady, 1696.


As pants the hart for cooling streams,
When heated in the chase,
So longs my soul, O God, for Thee
And Thy refreshing grace.
For Thee, my God, the living God,
My thirsty soul doth pine;
O, when shall I behold Thy face,
Thou majesty divine?
Why restless, why cast down, my soul?
Hope still; and thou shalt sing
The praise of Him Who is thy God,
Thy health’s eternal spring.
To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
The God Whom we adore,
Be glory as it was, is now,
And shall be evermore.






Blessings,
iggy








Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: