Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bishop T. D. Jakes

Bishop T. D. Jakes

I have heard a few times about Bishop T.D. Jakes... and I have heard him a few times on T.V.

There are accusations that he is a Oneness Pentecostal. I have heard some real in depth "listen to this" expose' on him... yet after reading a few things from CRN and knowing what I know about those people there... I decided to look into it a bit myself.

First off I want you to know I went in with prejudice as I had heard that he was... and it was convincing... I, like many others, just assumed after that he was a "Oneness" teacher.

Yet, to quote Keith Green, "Going to church does not make you a Christian any more that going to McDonalds makes you a hamburger." Great quote isn't it?

As I suspected, and with very little effort I found something very odd...

The church that T.D. Jakes pastors at is not a Oneness church... it affirms the Trinity all over the place!!! It is almost like someone is spreading rumors and slander about the church is carefully and fully showing they what they believe!

Then there was this link... What does Bishop Jakes have to say about our doctrine statement?


The article is a response to the HEARSAY of heresy...

Just a short blurb here:


"My Views on the Godhead", Jakes responds to Christianity Today article, Apologetics Journal Criticizes Jakes. By Bishop T. D. Jakes Hearsay, not heresy.



"Both chapters of my early spiritual journey contributed volumes to my faith and walk with God, helping to hone my character. I was shaped by and appreciate both denominations, but am controlled by neither. My association with Oneness people does not constitute assimilation into their ranks anymore than my association with the homeless in our city makes me one of them."


It seems the hearsay hunters have been at it again to ruin a fellow worker for Christ by their own selfish ambition... sad really to think that if one is loving enough to actually reach out to those "in heresy" they are branded... but that is the same implementation in CRN's approach to most everything else thye claim as heresy... most the time it turns into hearsey, or as the bible states "gossip".

Now that the BIG one is cleared up... what about the other things. Of this I will say I am sure that there are some quirks in his doctrines... was Jesus a rich man? Some say yes, and some say no... but the real issue is this... is this a divisive issue? Does believing Jesus had money and used it to support His disciples have anything to do with salvation?

Or if one is teaching on a topic in a book and though the main context and such is not the main point being made... as in the story of Lazarus... the main point being proof of the resurrection ... can't there be smaller things within the story that one can learn from also?

I won't comment on what he says as part of the Word of Faith movement... there is some very bad teaching there... yet there are still people who truly love Jesus... do I not trust in the Faithfulness of God as to whether He can save and reach someone in that movement?

So after actually looking into the lies being thrown out against T.D. Jakes, I was once again set free by the truth about a brother in the Lord... and free from the lies and slander that once held me to believe that he was not a true believer...

Bruce has more thoughts on this topic at his blog.

Blessings,
iggy






1 comment:

ricki said...

What!?!? Are you saying that not everything CRN puts on the internet is true? Bbbbbbut I thought they were God's official watchdogs?

;-)