Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Unpardonable Sin

Matthew 12: 30 - 32

"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. "



From Charles Spurgeon's sermon "Christ the Cure for Troubled Hearts":

"I hear another one say, 'But suppose I have committed the unpardonable sin;' to which I answer, 'But suppose you have not;' and there is just as much reason for supposing one way as supposing the other. And again I say, suppose you are wise enough to leave off supposing altogether. If you have committed the unpardonable sin, I should really like to know what it is; for, after reading, I think, as much of sound divinity as anybody, I have never yet been able to discover what it is; nor have I ever met with any divine who has seemed to me to approximate to any sure and certain description of what the unpardonable sin may be."

"This much I do know about it; it is called a sin that is to death, and as soon as ever a man commits it, a spiritual death steals over him, so that he never desires mercy, never is conscious of his guilt, and never wishes to find salvation by Jesus Christ. He becomes dead, so dead that it is not merely the sin which is itself unpardonable, but the condition of heart into which it throws the man, so that he never seeks pardon, or even wishes for it. Now, my dear friends, you know that you have not come to that terrible state, because you are always restless about your soul's salvation, and always wishing that by some means you might be saved. Whatever supposition you bring, I believe that I can sweep your supposition away, or that it goes to be swept away. Therefore, do not be in doubt or fear because of a supposition."



Interesting that this even today, seems to be an issue... If one only reads in Revelation Chapter 20 one will find the "death" Jesus is speaking of.

The "unpardonable sin" being "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"... is that one is not written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

We must be a New Creation and Live the Life of Christ or we are to experience eternal death, or the second death.

By denying the Holy Spirit one suffers from not being pardoned at the time of judgment.

Blessings,
iggy

No comments: