Tuesday, June 20, 2006

What is your faith built on? Incarnational Truth vs. Propositional Truth pt 2

What is your faith built on? Incarnational Truth vs. Propositional Truth

Ok, I am getting braced for the assault! LOL!

I found this phrase with John O’Keefe on his discussion group and think it is very much the same as I have been saying.

Is your faith built on the Bible and that being a group of Propositional truths grouped together?

Or is your faith built on the Incarnation?

Do you find Jesus in the Bible?

Or is the Bible your source of truth?

I see that Jesus is God, and this God was revealed throughout scripture… and as the bible points out (in red no less!), all scriptures points to Jesus!

Luke 24: 25. He said to them, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
26. Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?"
27. And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

Then this Person, meaning Jesus being God incarnate… is Truth incarnate.

I see that the Bible is more than a group of propositional truths grouped together. I have built my faith first on the foundation of Christ… I filter my Truth revealed by Jesus through the Bible to match what has already been revealed and reason it out with Jesus (Who is alive!) as to how this revealed truth works out in my life. I do not live my life by the book so to say, but by the Life of Christ and then backed up by the bible…

The issue is many try to find life in the Bible… and He is there, yet just like the Pharisees of old they search and search and try to find life from the scriptures… Jesus had this to say!!!!

John 5: 37. And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38. nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39. You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40. yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Notice that Jesus says that the Father’s word does not dwell in them? If the word does not dwell in them then they could not understand! Yet it because they did not believe the one the Father had sent… meaning Jesus. We need to first come to Christ (vs. 39) to have the Life… then as He dwells in us, we can then understand the scriptures and how they testify about Jesus.

It was after the resurrection of Jesus… and His revealing of Who He was and is… that the Scripture made sense.

John 2: 22. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.

So, again I can not say I see the bible as a group of propositional truths that I am to live by as I see that scripture itself testifies that I am to live by the Life of Christ… in that I then can understand and grow in the knowledge of Grace and Truth.

Blessings,
iggy

No comments: