Friday, September 19, 2008

Bozeman Emerging Ministry





Yesterday I went up to Bozeman MT and spent some time with Michael D. Wainwright and Jesse Ahmann who are starting an emerging outreach there. I had met Jesse earlier and we had a nice lunch and conversation at Applebee’s restaurant here in Billings. I left pretty early, in fact I was up at 3:30 and there by 6am. I took a while to find Wild Joe’s on Main, and drove around a bit having memories of when I lived in Bozeman. At 7am Wild Joe’s opened and Michael came in and introduced himself to me. Jesse showed up a bit later. After some initial confusion as to what to call me… (iggy or Carlos) we settled on Carlos. It did not take long as we started talking to feel like we were all old friends even taking playful pokes at each other. It is strange that three strangers can get along and enjoy each other’s company… even stranger that one was Baptist, one from Vineyard and the other from the Presbyterian Church. It seemed there was a great Spirit of unity as we got to know each other. We each shared a bit of our story and journey.

They meet there every Thursday at 7am and I highly recommend going. I found no one judging other’s views and felt very comfortable. It truly was a blessing to be with these men.

3 comments:

RYAN said...

Hi Iggy, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you Thursday morning at Joe's. I too have felt blessed by the company of these two guys. I have learned a great deal from both of them as we share our thoughts at these meetings. This emerging conversation that we are having is still new to me, it is just refreshing to have this kind of format to grow with each other spiritually and thoughtfully debate/discuss the theological issues of our present time.

It is funny you mention you felt comfortable with these guys. We once discussed making the slogan for our meetings, "Come in, sit down and get comfortable--but don't get too comfortable!" Every time I meet with these two, I always feel comfortable in the nice chairs and with their presence, but I always leave feeling challenged. Challenged in knowing that what we are trying to do here in Bozeman is not going to be easy or comfortable. We are doing this because we feel it needs to be done. What will Trailblazer Ministries be like in a year or two from now? Who knows-- but thanks to the talents that Michael and Jesse bring to the table, you can be sure we're going somewhere.

PastorMichael said...

Hey Carlos,

Thank you for your kind words! I had a blast meeting you last week and hope that we can get together again sometime in the future. Keep me posted on your church plant in Red Lodge and let me know how I can pray for you and your ministry.

(His) Peace,
Michael

Jesse Ahmann said...

Hey Iggy,
Thanks for the kindness; I'm looking forward to seeing you again sometime.
Jesse