Saturday, August 19, 2006

Mark Driscoll and "Manly Men"...

Mark Driscoll comments rather bother me as they are un-biblical!!!

Mark said: ( here the source, or the quote) Steve McCoy

"The problem in the church today is just a bunch of nice, soft, tender, chickafied church boys. 60% of Christians are chicks and the 40% that are dudes are still sort of…chicks. It’s just sad. We’re looking around going, How come we’re not innovative?

Cause all the innovative dudes are home watching football or they’re out making money or climbing a mountain or shooting a gun or working on their truck. They look at the church like that’s a nice thing for women and children. So the question is if you want to be innovative: How do you get young men? All this nonsense on how to grow the church.

One issue: young men. That’s it. That’s the whole thing. They’re going to get married, make money, make babies, build companies, buy real estate. They’re going to make the culture of the future. If you get the young men you win the war, you get everything. You get the families, the women, the children, the money, the business, you get everything. If you don’t get the young men you get nothing."


Now here is the rest of the story…

Often God chooses boys… Think King David when he is anointed by Samuel.

Often God does not choose the “manly men” …

Genesis 25: 27. The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents. 28. Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob. 29. Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. 30. He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom. ) 31. Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright." 32. "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?" 33. But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob. 34. Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left. So Esau despised his birthright.


Notice the manly man would go and hunt and was favored by his earthly father… Yet God chose Jacob… the guy who hung out at the tents and COOKED!!!!!


Now, I am neither against hunting, nor “manly men” and to me this whole thing can be summed up as marketing. To me, though some would disagree, I do not see Mark as an Emergent, or really out to reach the Postmodernist… mostly I see he is caught between what he sees as the emerging church he claims, and being a Calvinist. I

recently left this comment on Bob Hyatt’s blog:


“I was a biker... rode a Harley...1990 evo with a shovelhead 4 speed transmission, rigid Santee frame... wide glide front end.... It had a flaming boars head on the front and the license plate that said, "evol hog"... I wore leather and would go bar hopping with the guys, passing cars in the middle of the highway with on coming traffic...Some of my friends died in head on accidents, some went on and joined the Hell's Angels...

I said all that because I was a putz, not a real man, who would face who I was and who I was becoming...

I read Wild at Heart and loved it... some of my friends (now) did not even get through it...

I found a real man can be as Driscoll stated, yet also must grow beyond the selfishness that he is actually describing as being a real man...Driscoll is only talking about some of these men who really are half the people they should be… IMHO.

He is alienated those of us who have decided to really live our values… without realizing he has done this. A real man realizes there is something more… that he is not the beginning and end of the universe… It is a real man who instead of sitting in front of the TV watching football and talking stats, gets off his butt and pursues God, even if it is uncomfortable. I am a man… who has taught Sunday school, and is willing to give up a fishing trip with the guys to be with my family. Am I feminized? I think I am more of a whole person now… then when I worshipped at the alter of Harley Davidson.

Now excuse me I need to go and scratch myself...”


Now, really do we want to be “manly men” or men after God’s own heart?

I found more freedom in Christ then I ever did on a Harley…

Blessings,
iggy


Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Mother Effingby said...

I haven't lived in Billings for nearly 20 years, since my twins were born at St. Vincent's hospital in 87. Sort of just stumbled on your blog, and not sure where you are going. I sort of walked out of church on 9/16/2001, when, instead of making some relevent sense about the preceding events of Tuesday, he simply gave us an investment speech on the Christian Themed Water Park in Hungary.
I have no updates on that spiritual endeavour. I feel parched in a barren land.

Unknown said...

Jauhara,

I left about 20 years ago also... but returned about 3 years ago...

You asked a good question...

"Sort of just stumbled on your blog, and not sure where you are going."

I am posting an answer soon....

Blessings,
iggy