Sunday, January 01, 2006

Psalms Study. Chapter 6.

Here is the latest in the Psalms series we are going through at Word of Mouth Fellowship.
Blessings,
iggy

Psalms 6
NIV Psalms 6:1-10

1. O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
2. Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.
3. My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?
4. Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.
5. No one remembers you when he is dead. Who praises you from the grave?
6. I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.
7. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.
8. Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping.
9. The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.
10.All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.

V1. Read Hebrews 12
V2. When we sin we should feel remorse…when one in the world sins often they do not unless they get caught. This is a sign we are changed… that we are now like David who had a heart after God.
V3-4 Deliverance… David asks for future deliverance now… we thank God for the deliverance given at the Cross.
V5. No repentance in the grave. We have one shot, after we die we cannot go back and repent of our sins… for the wages of our sins is death. (I found no commentary that approached this verse. I think to take it “literal” is to cause many a theology problems. To take this literal we must then accept “soul sleep”. I think the bulk of the Bible teaches that there is more than “soul sleep”; rather, Jesus Himself spoke of Abraham’s bosom as an actual place where the characters seem to be doing much more than “sleeping”.
V6. As we focus on the chaos around us, in a way it can blind us to the Truth Who lives in us. We can focus on sin or the daily grind… Man is made to have a tendency to steer toward what he focuses on. Think of a child on a bike who is riding in a huge parking lot. There is a light pole in the middle. As the child focuses on the light pole he fears he may hit it. And… he does. If one is driving a car and someone says, “look over here and see this.” As the drive turns to look the car tends to go in that direction also. If we focus on our sin, we waste away, for there is no LIFE in sin, or our sin nature, only death.
V8 - 10. Here David seem to change keys so to say, the first part is the Minor key of sadness and remorse, Here David seems to go into a major key, as he seems to stand and accepts Truth in his heart over the sin that seems to have overtaken him. Here David changes his focus not on his sin, but rather that God loves and hears him in spite of his sin. We must remember God’s character is not one of hate or one that is like the false gods of then or today who claim to be unknowable. God revealed Himself to Moses in Exodus 34.

Exodus 34
1. The LORD said to Moses, "Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke.
2. Be ready in the morning, and then come up on Mount Sinai. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain.
3. No one is to come with you or be seen anywhere on the mountain; not even the flocks and herds may graze in front of the mountain."
4. So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the LORD had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands.
5. Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD.
6. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,
7. maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."
8. Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped.

Our response to God’s mercy should be the same as Moses’, to bow down and worship God for His Grace and Mercy toward us.

No comments: