Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I have decided to renew my ordination!

I have decided to renew my ordination!

I have renewed, which was free…. I should get me new card that says “Rev Carlos Shelton” in the mail in the next few weeks.
Funny, I was thinking of dropping the iggy and going with The Rev, but that is so overused... LOL!

I am dropping the Title Pastor, though God has gifted me for that purpose. I will still use the gift, but because so many are confused as to the Biblical teaching of “pastor” I will not use it until I am officially given it through the Vineyard.

I have found the ordination helpful in doing ministry. I hope to be able to do more hospital visitations and other ministries that require me to be ordained.  Also I will be taking some correspondence courses to further my education. Though I have done some free online courses like from the Blue Letter Institute which I have gotten some pretty good grades. I have felt for some time that I need to further my education in many areas. I am not against education, just the importance some place on it over the Biblical teaching that Jesus has already gifted us with all we need for godliness. By the Power of Christ we have gained all we need for eternity.

2 Peter 1:  1.  Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,   To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours: 2.  Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3.  His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
4.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.  5.  For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6.  and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7.  and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Pastor is really a “gift” not a position of power. Just take a look at Ephesians 4: 11.  It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12.  to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up NIV

Notice that God “gave”. It is not a title of power, but a title of purpose… notice “He gave… to prepare”. The purpose is to prepare God’s people for works of service, which is for the grander purpose of building up the body of Christ. Any power that comes from the title must come out of respect and not out of just claiming authority and power because of position. Remember the admonition of Jesus in Matt 23: Matthew 23

1.  Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:
2.  "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
3.  So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.
4.  They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.
5.  "Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries  wide and the tassels on their garments long;
6.  they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues;
7.  they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them `Rabbi.'
8.  "But you are not to be called `Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers.
9.  And do not call anyone on earth `father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
10.  Nor are you to be called `teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ.
11.  The greatest among you will be your servant.
12.  For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
13.  "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.
15.  "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.

We are not to think highly of ourselves because of our position… instead be humble. I think that would apply to those who are highly educated. If that was in Matt 23, it would be said like, “If you think your self high because of your education, remember there is One who knows more, your Creator in Heaven.
This passage is used often to accuse Catholics of being un Biblical in using the term Father for their priests… the context is far from that. It is about being humble and knowing no matter how big you think you are, God is bigger.

If on takes the passage in the manner some do as to accuse Catholics of this “father” usage, then my son and daughter would be guilty also for calling me Father. Also anyone who called a teacher a teacher would be guilty of the same sin… In fact that causes more issues as the Bible teaches that God gives “teachers” to the church.
1 Cor 12:28  28.  And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.

So suffice it to say, not because of the “accusations” against me, but rather because I have not been invited to be “pastor” in the Vineyard community which I have decided to serve.

Again, this is hard for some to understand. I will use my gift as a “pastor” in purpose, but not expect anything of position or authority until I have gained the respect and love and proven myself to that community.

So for now, just call me Rev iggy…. LOL! Not!

Blessings,
Still and will always be,
iggy

No comments: