Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Meditations on Psalms 5

Psa 5:1  To the Chief Musician, for flutes. A Psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O Jehovah; consider my meditation.
Psa 5:2  Listen to the voice of my cry, my King and my God; for to You I will pray.
Psa 5:3  My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Jehovah; in the morning I will direct my prayer to You, and I will look up.
Psa 5:4  For You are not a God that enjoys wickedness; nor shall evil dwell with You.
Psa 5:5  The foolish shall not stand in Your sight. You hate all doers of iniquity.
Psa 5:6  You shall destroy those who speak lies; Jehovah will despise the bloody and deceitful man.
Psa 5:7  But I, in the abundance of Your grace, I will come into Your house; I will worship in Your fear toward Your holy temple.
Psa 5:8  Lead me, O Jehovah, in Your righteousness, because of my enemies; make Your way straight before my face.
Psa 5:9  For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is wickedness; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue.
Psa 5:10  Hold them guilty, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions, for they have rebelled against You.
Psa 5:11  But let all who put their trust in You rejoice; let them always shout for joy, because You defend them. And let those who love Your name be joyful in You.
Psa 5:12  For You; O Jehovah, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield.

How often do we think and maybe even say out loud, "God, can you hear me? Can you see how I feel?"
I see David doing just that here. It is like if someone said,” God listen to my words and the thought of my heart." Often we do not "cry" out if things are going well. So I see this as a time that David is not doing well. Also some think that this is soon after David gains back his throne and is still dealing with the treachery that is still present.

The morning seems to have an edge and crispness that no other time has. It is as if sound is amplified. I think of times I have been camping and wake up early and hear the birds crying out. I see this also as David is placing a priority of his time with God. This does not have to be in the early morning. I think any if not all times should be a time to focus. Here though David directs his prayer in the morning to God.

God is not as the other so called gods, which is true now as it was in David’s time. All other gods have some sort of path of rules, or they really do not desire relationship but desire to be unknown. The True God thinks this as wickedness. He desires to reveal Himself to those who seek Him. David warns that one who desires the wickedness of false gods and the things one does in their worship are despised.
David then is clear that it is God’s Grace that allows us to enter into God's house.  God of the OT in the time of Abraham was called "The Fear" for to be in His presence brought fear. Why? Because it revealed who we really are. The apostle John tells us in his writings that the light will reveal all. As we stand in the Light of God Who is Jesus Himself, we stand in fear and horror to how far from God we really are. Yet, as we stand in the light trusting in the blood of Jesus, by His grace we are covered by His righteousness. Jesus is our sin covering, He is our white garment.

The wicked if they really realized who God is would tremble in great fear. And sadly many will find this true.  I believe David understands grace, yet as one turns themselves over to wickedness, God must place them under His Authority and Judge Them.

We have a choice of being under authority or grace.  Under the authority God will judge one according to what they have done in this life. If one is under Grace, they are free to rejoice as forgiveness and joy comes, as God Himself is our defense. In this God himself is our righteousness and protector of our eternal soul.

Blessings,
iggy

No comments: