Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The countdown to... Gastric Bypass Surgery

I have struggled with my health for quite a while now. I was officially diagnosed with diabetes about 12 years ago and have never been able to get a real handle on it. I have tried different doctors who will try this or that... believe me I have heard them say, "This will probably give you good results." and find it does for about three months and then whatever it is stops.

I have had neuropathy, major back pain (often accentuated by the medications), and other complications attributed to diabetes. In the end, nothing seems to help and the pain in my back seems not to allow me to exercise enough to make a real difference.

The bottom line is this. As I have studied out new possibilities to aid me in my fight against my diabetes (that seems to be winning), I kept reading about how gastric bypass has help many diabetics. Part of the issue with my diabetes is I am insulin resistant. In fact, I take dosages that would even kill most diabetics and still cannot get it under control. Therefore I get in these cycles of taking high insulin to get my blood sugar down, which then triggers my hunger (insulin triggers the hunger). Therefore, I eat, and get high blood sugar and, wash, rinse and repeat. The result is I have gone from a svelte 217 pounds to 320 and miserable to boot!

The thing is, in my reading I found that what happens is that when one has gastric bypass, the body goes into shock (it should it major surgery) and then recalibrates itself and often diabetics can get off insulin. Personally, I would be happy with a major reduction in my dosage, as I do not expect to get totally off insulin. I do hope that since I am restricted in the amount I can eat, that it will aid in keep me from falling into the cycle I keep getting in and help reduce the weight I have gained.

This Friday is the day I start my liquid fast before the surgery. I am a bit scared in doing this, yet I see this as the way to regain my health and just maybe, live longer. I just ask for prayer in all this. The consultation with the surgeon is on March 3rd and the surgery is on March 8th.

Believe me I know all the horror stories… so please don’t post them here unless they are about you and your personal surgery. I do not want second hand horror stories. I also know many successes. If you had the surgery, feel free to tell your story or link to your blog.

Again, this is about my health… not about vanity. I mean, I am already damn good looking. = )

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

John Gary Feister said...

Hey, Carlos! I would recommend lap band surgery instead. A friend of mine had this done and it's worked very well for him. Best of all, it's not irreversible. He is on my FB friends list, if you want to talk with him yourself. His name is Mike Slagel. Just a suggestion, bro. I'm with you, no matter what. Peace!

Unknown said...

Gary,

My mom had that done and though it has work fairly well for her, she has found ways to cheat it. I might be able to "cheat" a bit with the bypass, but really at this point the bypass seems to be the way to help my diabetes more than the lap-band.

Daniel Rustad said...

I am going to be praying this Friday morning with a group of guys and we will pray for you friend. :)

mountainguy said...

I'll pray for you. Best wishes