Saturday, September 30, 2006

I just read an article written by someone who is leading a study on how to study scripture...

I just read the article in the local paper here… by Jim Hearing. I never have met him nor do I know him… I am not writing this “against” him. I like his name though, it reminds me of the scripture that says, “faith comes from hearing” (Rom 10:17).

Rather I am writing because I observed something I have seen over and over… about proof-texting using certain scriptures to “prove” scripture is “truth”. Now I agree that scripture teaches us truth… I agree that God reveals truth in the scripture, yet rarely is a scripture that uses the phrase “God’s word” or even uses the word “word” in the NT about scripture. It is most often used concerning Jesus Christ.

John 17: 17. Sanctify them by the truth; your word (logos) is truth.

This is often used to prove the bible is God’s word and it is truth…

Really it is that the Logos (Word) is truth…


Meaning that Jesus (John1:1) being the Logos is the incarnate Word, or rather the Living Word… and is TRUTH. So with this verse we are sanctified (set apart) in Christ.

Logos has the connotation that it is spoken… it is behind the thought that God spoke in Genesis 1 and in the thought that all things were created through Jesus… who is the spoken word of God… made flesh.

(Those of you, who know Greek, check this out and tell me if I am wrong.)

Jim also uses Psalms 117:2 which has nothing to do in context with the scripture, but of God’s faithfulness that… “endures forever”… again way out of context. The same with Psalms 100:5

If one is in need to find a scripture to show that God’s written word is truth, I would try first going to Romans 15: 4. For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. (NIV)

2 Tim 3: 16. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17. so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (NIV)

Yet, to stay true to the context in which Paul was teaching from, Paul is referring to the OT… not the NT as it was not complete. This does not mean that I do not see the NT as scripture equal to the OT… in fact I see the NT as the revealing of the OT, or rather, that Jesus is the mystery in the OT concealed, and the NT is Jesus, the mystery revealed.

I see the NT as the greater of the two.

I am sure Mr. Hearing is a fine person… and I know he loves Jesus… I think that he may want to bone up on how to interpret scripture properly in context before he teaches others though.

Blessings,
iggy





Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: