Saturday, July 01, 2017

Who was the Greatest Reformer?

Many just think of Calvin and Luther as the only Reformers. If I were to pick - Luther is good but not great but when i was looking at them Zwingli seemed to be closest to my thoughts. Funny thing is the assistant to Luther would take Zwingli's writings and promise to show Luther - but the assistant knew that Luther would through a fit when he read it. The assistant wanted to keep the two as distant friends who still mutually admired each other. 

Now, if I were to choose a great reformer Friedrich Myconius who kept that peace between the so-called "Great Reformers". When Friedrich Myconius became ill and believed he was dying he sent a note to Luther who replied, ""I command thee in the name of God to live because I still have need of thee in the work of reforming the church.… The Lord will never let me hear that thou art dead, but will permit thee to survive me. For this I am praying, this is my will, and may my will be done, because I seek only to glorify the name of God." He lived two more years and even outlived Luther by a couple of months.

A man of peace in a time of sometimes shameful arrogance over theology is my Reformer.



Picture by the original uploader was GregorHelms at German Wikipedia - Transferred from de.wikipedia to Commons by Magnus Manske using CommonsHelper., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7900903 

No comments: